Welcome

It was brought to my attention that I tend to go birdwatching alot. So here is my attempt to document my outings and sightings. I also hope to show photos of as many of my ticks as possible.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Regent Honeyeater Survey, 16th May

Lucky and I headed out west to the Bulga/Jerrys Plains area to search for Regents and Swift Parrot last Sunday. We started birding along Wambo Rd where we witnessed 6 Striated Pardalotes displaying on the telegraph wires. Peaceful Doves and Double-bars flittered across the road and a Pipit was on the fence post.Along the Putty Road heading north we stumbled upon a great mixed flock of birds feeding beside the road. We recorded 30 species in 30 minutes with the highlights being Speckled Warbler, Scarlet Robin, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Varied Sittella, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Brown-headed Honeyeater, Grey-crowned Babbler and Striped Honeyeater. Several Tassie race Silvereyes were also in the flock.We then turned onto Wallaby Scrub road and made a stop about half way along. Lucky was very pleased to find a male Red-capped Robin. Western Gerygone was heard nearby and more Warblers and Buff-rumps were recorded. A Litte Eagle soared over head.Pine Grove Rd was our next stop and we spent lots of time here snapping away at Striated Pardalotes and Red-capped Robin. Speckled Warblers were once again very common.After lunch at the Jerry's Plains pub we headed further west along Jones Reserve Road seeing more of the same birds. A big flock of Double-bars (50-70) were seen near the horse stud as were 2 Jacky Winter, 1 Red-capped Robin and a Western Gerygone.
On the corner of Doyle's Creek Rd we photographed Weebills and a bit further down we had Diamond Firetails and Restless Flycatcher.Over all we had a very enjoyable day even though we dipped on the targets.

1 comment:

  1. A little embarressed about my Red-capped Robin excitement. First time i'd seen one and I think I was blown away that I had seen it and the fact that they are so striking. Thanks for a great day out, and thanks for not drooling in the new car when you fell asleep on the way home ;)

    ReplyDelete